Preseason training has started and there is a very positive buzz around the squad. Sighthill has been upgraded and the new home to the BT SRU Edinburgh Rugby Academy is also accomodating Boroughmuir for the month of July.
Players returning from long term injury -
New players -
BT Academy Players joining Boroughmuir:
- Jack Cosgrove (prop) has moved to Edinburgh and joined Boroughmuir and the BT Academy from Worcester Warriors. Jack is a former Scotland age group rep who is keen to progress into the professional game and use Muir as his platform to show what he can do.
- Jake Kerr (hooker) has joined from Watsonians and will bring competition to Cal Davies who was a strong contender for last season's player of the year. Jake has returned from a knee operation and wants to show this season he is ready to represent Scotland U20s and claim a professional deal.
- Scott Burnside (flanker) has joined from Heriots after spending most of last season injured. Scott is a medical student at Edinburgh University and like Jake, hopes to represent Scotland at U20 level this season. Scott is currently spending a month at the University of Cape Town and is looking forward to joining up in July with the Muir squad.
- Logan Bonar (stand off) joined at the end of last season from Falkirk. He played against Boroughmuir in a preseason friendly in 2013 and impressed the Muir coaching team. Logan has continued to develop and now feels the time is right to have a go in the Premiership.
- Thomas Gracie (prop) returns to the club from Watsonians. Thomas played at Meggetland in the Youth Section and will add competition in the front row.
- Dale Robertson (prop) has joined from Lasswade. Dale has been a stalwart at Lasswade but now wants to challenge himself in the Premiership. Dale is a mobile, skillful prop.
- Callum Reid (No8) has joined Boroughmuir from Edinburgh Accies and is currently playing in NZ after spending much of last season out injured. Callum is a previous SRU apprentice with Glasgow and wants to get back into the professional game. Callum will join up with the squad in August.
- Andy Watt (scrum half) has returned to Boroughmuir after a couple of seasons away, last year playing at Biggar.
Players left -
Angus Wallace - Stew Mel
Darren Miller - Watsonians
Mike Entwhistle - Australia
Jonny Latta - Australia
Adam Best - Kowloon RFC, HK
Neil Rodger - season out
Trent Sutton - NZ
Graeme Blackhall - Glasgow Hawks
Kevin Brown will be leaving the club in August after becoming the Head of PE at Kelso High School. We wish Kevin every success for the future and look forward to seeing him back at Meggetland.
Sean Brady has left the club as he is unable to commit to the level he requires and will return to coach the 2nd XV at RHC. Sean leaves with the best wishes of everyone at Meggetland.
Kevin Robertson has stepped down after an amazing spell in charge of the Bears. Kevin can’t commit to the Bears with a thriving business and new family keeping him very busy. Kevin will be hugely missed but we wish him every success in the future and look forward to seeing him in the club house.
Coaches in -
We are delighted that former Muir player Richard Sievwright will be returning to the club to coach the 2nd XV with Andy Knight. Richard is a very enthusiastic coach who is excited to get started when he returns from holiday in Canada in August. Richard is a PE teacher at James Gillespies.